Some Bridgehampton History


8,000- 12,000 BC Ice Age recedes, sculpting moraine and ponds on eastern Long Island. Native American settlements established throughout Long Island

1640 First English speaking settlements established in Southampton and Southold.

1656 Settlement of Bridgehampton began when Josiah Stanborough built a homestead on land east of the waters of Sagg Pond.

1686 The original bridge that connected Mecox and Sagaponack was built by local wheelwright Ezekiel Sandford, who had been hired by the Town of Southampton.

1776 American Revolution

1840 Nathaniel Rogers redesigned the Abraham Rose federal style house into a Greek Revival style building, and William Corwith build the Corwith House

1865 American Civil War ends

1870 The Long Island Rail Road arrived in 1870, bringing with it visitors and new residents.

1877 The Hampton Library opened

1895 The newspaper, The Bridgehampton News, was established.

1895 The Bridgehampton Fire Department was established

1909 The Bridgehampton National Bank opened on Main Street

1910 The Bridgehampton Monument was unveiled and dedicated on July 4 during the 250th Anniversary Celebration of the settlement of Bridgehampton.

1928 First elected BH Police Commissioner to head up their own police department.

1956 The Bridgehampton Historical Society was chartered by the NYS Board of Regents.

1972 The Plaza East Shopping Plaza was built on land that was once a family farm and Drive-in theater, continuing a century-long transition from an agrarian to more diverse economy.

2003 The Bridgehampton Historical Society helps to preserve the Nathaniel Rogers House

 


HomeAbout BridgehamptonSpecial EventsCorwith HouseNathaniel Rogers HouseGift ShopResoucesLinks